An easy summer yellow squash tart with ricotta, lemon zest and shaved parmesan cheese.
- 1 puff pastry sheet 11″x16″
- 3 yellow squash zucchini
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- zest from one lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- a hand full of chopped basil
for the egg wash
- 1 egg and 1 tbsp water beaten
- parmesan cheese
- Slice the squash zucchini into 1/8 inch (3 mm) rounds. Place them in a colander, sprinkle a little salt and mix well all over. Let squash drain most moisture for 15 min.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a bowl mix the ricotta cheese with 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Add the basil and 2/3 of the lemon zest. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Mix 1 tbsp of parmesan cheese. Stir well.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Carefully roll out the puff pastry on the parchment paper. Leaving about .5 inch rim all over pinch small holes all over the middle with a fork. That way the pastry won’t puff up when it is baked, just the trim.
- Pat the zucchini slices lightly with a kitchen towel to take away some of the moisture. Place them in a bowl and drizzle 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Mix well.
- Spread the ricotta mix all over the inner part of your pastry, leaving that half an inch bare. Add the zucchini slices on top, lightly overlapping each other. Sprinkle some fresh ground pepper all over.
- Brush the egg wash all over pastry trim.
- Bake for 25 min or until squash is golden at the edges (not burned!) and puff pastry has a nice warm gold color as well.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil all over, some shaved parmesan cheese and the rest of the lemon zest. Enjoy!