This galette has layers of goat cheese, acorn & butternut squash and sprinkles of prosciutto and chestnuts.
Fall is here and with it are all these lovely, heartwarming flavors I love so much. The combination of sweet and savory is always a win in my cookbook. This galette has layers of flavor and is very easy to make.Print
This savory galette has layers of goat cheese, acorn & butternut squash and sprinkles of prosciutto and chestnuts.
For the crust
- 1 1/2 sticks salted butter (I like kerrygold)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cold water
For the filling
- 1 acorn squash cut in half and into 1.5 mm or about 1/16 of an inch slices
- 1/2 medium butternut squash cut into 1.5 mm or about 1/16 of an inch slices
- 1/2 cup prosciutto cubetti
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup goat cheese crumbled
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chestnuts chopped
For the egg wash
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp water
Make the crust
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the sugar and salt. Using a food processor or your fingers, add half of the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add in the remaining butter. Drizzle the water over the dough and stir until moistened. Gather up the dough and knead it 2 or 3 times. Don’t work it too much. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Prepare the squash
- In low heat using a large sauce pan add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, and a couple of sage and rosemary springs. Add the acorn squash slices, and season with salt and pepper and lightly toss everything around.
- Lightly saute the acorn slices for a few minutes. Place them on a plate and set aside.
- Repeat the same process with the butternut slices.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Roll out the dough and assemble
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to a 14-inch round. Slide the pastry onto a parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
- Spread 3/4 of the goat cheese evenly on the pastry, leaving a 1.5 inch border all around.
- Add the squash slices alternating between the acorn and the butternut. Sprinkle some prosciutto cubes and chestnuts in between slices.
- Fold the pastry edge up over the vegetables to create a border.
- Mix the beaten egg with 1 tbsp of water to make the egg wash. Lightly brush all over the crust.
- Bake for 30 min or until crust is golden.
- For serving sprinkle the rest of the goat cheese and some maple syrup and you are done. Enjoy!
For the slicing of the squash I suggest using a mandolin slicer instead of a knife to get even, thin slices.