This potato-eggplant galette is perfect for fall. The luxurious silky béchamel makes all the difference when combined with the thinly sliced velvety potatoes and the wholesome eggplant. The robust thick cut bacon adds a rustic feel to all the elegant flavors.
Potato & eggplant galette with béchamel & bacon
For the filling
- 1 medium eggplant halved and cut in thin slices
- 4-5 medium potatoes cut in thin slices
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 strips thick cut bacon cut in thin pieces
- 1 cup olive oil
For the béchamel
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour Have some extra in case you need to thicken the sauce.
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk Have some extra in case you need to thin the sauce.
- fresh ground pepper
For the egg wash
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp water
Prepare the potatoes and eggplant.
- Add the olive oil in a medium frying pan. Lightly fry the potatoes, enough for the edges to get golden. Lay potato slices on a paper towel to absorb the extra oil. Repeat the same process for the eggplant slices. Set aside for later.
Prepare the bacon.
- Cook the bacon slices unti crispy. Transfer to a paper towel to absorb the extra fat.
Make the bechamel sauce.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles a bit, but don’t let it brown — about 2 minutes.
- Add the warm milk, continuing to stir as the sauce thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste and a pinch or two of nutmeg, lower the heat, and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat. To cool this sauce for later use, cover it with wax paper to prevent a skin from forming.
Roll the dough
Fill your galette
- Leaving an inch and a half border add a layer of béchamel in a circular pattern. Add a layer of potatoes. Add a layer of eggplant. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle some more béchamel sauce, a few pieces of bacon and parmesan cheese. Repeat this process 3 times. (Or as many as you like, all you need is extra potato and eggplant slices).
- In a small bowl beat the egg with 1 tbsp of water to make the egg wash.
- Fold the crust edges over the potatoes and eggplant. Lightly brush them with egg wash. Sprinkle fresh ground pepper all over, some more pieces of bacon and parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 350 F oven for 40 min or until crust is golden.
- Serve warm with béchamel sauce on the side.