A black-eyed peas salad that is fresh and fragrant and has a mediterranean vibe. With lots of veggies, herbs and an olive oil & vinegar dressing it tastes like summer in a bowl.
- 1 lb black -eyed peas
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3–4 avocados diced
- 8 campari tomatoes diced (4 if using regular size tomatoes)
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 large cucumber diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 2 handfuls fresh mint finely chopped
- 2 handfuls fresh basil finely chopped
- zest of one lime
- zest of one lemon
for the dressing
- 1/ 2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1//4 red wine vinegar
- 1-2 pinch greek oregano
- 1–2 pinch of sea salt
- 1 –2 pinch chili pepper flakes
- fresh ground pepper
- Add the black eyed peas in a large pot with plenty of water and boil them for 30-40 min or until fully cooked and soft (but not falling apart).
- Rince them well, drain well and set them aside too cool completely.
- Make your salad dressing. Mix all ingredients in a bowl or a mason jar very well. Set aside.
- Dice the veggies. If you can leave the avocados last and once you dice them sprinkle a little lemon juice on them until you are ready to mix them in the salad. (Keeps them from getting brown)
- Once the black-eyed peas are cooled down completely add them in a large salad bowl. Add all the diced vegetables and the herbs and mix well. Add the salad dressing. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Mix well 2-3 times so the dressing goes all over well. Enjoy!
I prefer to make this salad the day before, let it sit in the fridge and then one hour before guests arrive I take it out and let it get to room temperature.
Keywords: avocado, barbecue, black-eyed peas, black-eyed peas salad, greece, greek vegan recipe, side dish, summer, vegan