Greek stuffed zucchini blossoms are one of my favorite summer foods. Filled with herbs, juicy veggies and rice, they make a delicious light dish.
- about 40 zucchini blossoms
for the filling
- 1 full cup + 1/4 grated zucchini
- 1 cup potato grated
- 2 cups onions, finely diced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 28 oz San Marzanno tomatoes like Gustarosso or 3 cups grated tomatoes, skin and seeds removed
- 1 cup fresh mint chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley chopped
- fresh ground pepper
Prepare the blossoms
- Place the blossoms on a kitchen towel.
- Filled a large bowl with water and place it next to the blossoms. Gently open the blossom and cut the little stem inside, using kitchen shears or a sharp pair of scissors. Cut the outside stem also.
- Emerge each blossom into the water give it a small swirl for a sec and take it out. Shake it very gently and place it on the kitchen towel to dry.
Make the filling Mix all filling ingredients in a large bowl. (If you are using the San Marzanno tomatoes, place them in a bowl first and squish them to get all the juices out and turn them into much smaller pieces) Fill the blossoms
- Gently open the blossom and, using a small spoon, place some of the mixture inside. Close each blossom petal in a criss cross pattern if you can. Wrap the last one carefully under the blossom placing it on a large pot.
- Repeat filling the rest of the blossoms, placing each in a circular motion inside the pot. Make sure they snuggly fit with each other. Add 2 cups of water. Place a plate upside down on the blossoms, to lock their position.
Cook the blossoms
- Simmer in low heat for 1 hour. Gently lift the plate (careful, it’s hot!) to check if they are fully cooked.
Serve with your favorite yogurt sauce.
This recipe is for 40 blossoms but you can easily cut it in half for 20 blossoms. An average portion is 5-6 blossoms.
If you have left over mixture you can just cook it on the stove (add a little stock if needed), add your favorite protein et voila! Dinner is ready.
Keywords: Stuffed vegetables, Kretan recipe, Greek recipe, stuffed zucchini blossoms