Traditional Greek turkey stuffing with ground sausage, chestnuts, dates & pine nuts that is absolutely delicious and will definitely amaze all your guests.
This stuffing is good for a 15-20 lbs turkey.
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion diced
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 cup boiled chestnuts halved
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 5–6 dates diced
- 5–6 prunes diced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2–3 cloves
- 1/2 cup broth (chicken or veg)
for the turkey baste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- juice from 2 oranges
- juice from 2 lemons
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 sage sprig
- 1 tbsp oregano
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- In a large pot add the butter. In medium heat, sauté the onion until soft and fragrant. Add the ground beef and sausage. Break with a spoon any large pieces. Brown ground meat all over, 3-4 min.
- Add the rice. Stir well. Sauté mixture for 1-2 min. Add 1/2 cup broth, the raisins, chestnuts, dates, prunes, cloves and the pine nuts. Stir mixture well gently. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper. Remove from heat.
Prepare the turkey baste. Mix orange and lemon juice with the chicken broth. Add the melted butter. Season with a pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper. Stick the rosemary, thyme and sage sprigs in the baste to infuse it while you cook the turkey. Keep it in a warm surface.
Stuff your turkey. Close it by tying the legs together with twine. Or you can sew the gap together with twine and a large needle. You can find directions here.
Lightly baste the turkey every 20 minutes after the first hour of cooking. Apply the baste warm to the turkey. Stop basting during the last 30 minutes of cook time.
When turkey is ready, empty the stuffing in a serving bowl and serve. Enjoy!
Keywords: Greek Turkey Stuffing