Absolutely delicious authentic Greek moussaka with plant based meat BEYOND BEEF®.
- 1 package of BEYOND BEEF®
- 1 large eggplant sliced
- 3 potatoes peeled and sliced
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 pint whole milk
- 4 oz parmesan cheese
for the béchamel
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1 qt whole milk
you will also need
- light olive oil for frying
- nutmeg (whole or grated, your choice)
- dry oregano (I love Greek oregano)
- red chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the eggplant slices, drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil all over. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper. Bake in the oven for 15 min or so, until eggplant has a light golden color. Don’t overbake! When ready, remove from oven and let them cool.
- In a frying pan add 2-3 tbsp light olive oil. In high heat fry the potato slices for approximately 1-2 min, both sides. Remove slices and place in a paper towel to absorb extra oil.
- Remove the light olive oil from the frying pan, wipe excess with a paper towel. Add 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. In medium heat, add the onions. season with a pinch of salt. After 2-3 min add the garlic. Stir well. Add the tomato paste. Season with another pinch of salt, fresh ground pepper and 1-2 pinch of dry oregano. Stir well. Add 1-2 pinches of chili flakes.Stir well.
- Add the beyond beef. Break it to small pieces, just like you would do with ground beef. Mix everything well. Add the wine. Allow the wine to evaporate a little for 2-3 min. Remove from heat and set aside.
Assemble the eggplant and potatoes.
- Add a layer of potatoes slices to the bottom of the baking pan. Season potato slices with salt and pepper. Add a layer of eggplant. Sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese al over. Repeat a layer of potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Add another layer of eggplant slices. Sprinkle a generous amount of grated parmesan.
- Add your “meat” on top of the eggplant. Spread evenly. Add a generous amount of grated parmesan. Set aside.
Make the béchamel.
- Place a sauce pan on medium to low heat. Add the butter.
- When butter is melted add 1/3 of the flour. Stir well with a whisk. Add 1/3 of the milk. Keep whisking. Add more flour. Keep whisking. Add more milk. Repeat alternating between flour and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Grate a good amount of nutmeg. Keep whisking. You might need to add a little more flour or milk to reach the correct consistency. The béchamel should be smooth and velvety but thick enough to remain distinct atop the ground “meat” in the moussaka.
- Turn the heat off. Add a generous amount of grated parmesan cheese. Stir well with the whisk. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the béchamel on top of the “meat”. Spread evenly. Grate a good amount of parmesan cheese on top, sprinkle some chili flakes and fresh ground pepper.
- Bake in a 350 F oven for 45 min to 1 hour or until top is a nice golden color.
Let moussaka sit for 15 min before serving. Enjoy!
I used a 8“ square baking tin like this one. Had to line the bottom with parchment paper and place tin on a baking sheet to cook because it has removable base. I used that pan because It’s deep and allows the moussaka to have a nice layer of béchamel on top. If you are using a 10.5”×8”×3” lasagna pan just add one more potato and a small eggplant to the recipe. The “meat” layer should be fine as well as the béchamel.
Keywords: Greek Authentic recipe, Greek food, moussaka, vegetarian moussaka, plant based meat, beyond meat, beyond beef