This lovely red lentil soup is creamy, has a great curry flavor and can be as spicy as you want it to be. It only takes 40 minutes to come together, you can even enjoy it on a weeknight. Just sauté the aromatics in oil, toss in red lentils, tomatoes, cilantro, coconut milk and water and let it all simmer for 20 minutes. It is by far one of my favorite soups that I make pinch.
More soups please!
If you liked this recipe please try my Greek tomato toup with feta & basil, an ideal partner to crusty bread. A very easy and comforting soup is the traditional Greek chickpea lemon soup, it is delicious and humbly perfect. And real winner is my red kabocha soup with porcini mushrooms, it is creamy and sophisticated with layers of flavor that leave you satisfied & pleasantly surprised.
Curried Red Lentil Soup with Tomato & Coconut
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 medium-large piece ginger peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon medium curry powder you can use more if you can handle spicy
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes you can use more if you can handle spicy
- ¾ cup red lentils
- 1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro plus leaves for serving
- salt fresh ground pepper
- 1 13.5 oz can unsweetened coconut milk, shaken well
- Lime wedges for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium. Cook onion stirring often until softened and light golden brown, 5-6 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, curry powder and red pepper flakes stir well and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, keep stirring everything together and for cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, ½ cup cilantro, a generous pinch of salt, and 2½ cups water. Season with pepper. Set aside ¼ cup coconut milk for serving and add remaining coconut milk to saucepan. Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are soft but not mushy, 20–25 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup in bowls with a drizzle of reserved coconut milk and top with cilantro. Squeeze a lime wedge or two) over, it makes the soup come alive!
- Soup (without toppings) can be made 3 days ahead. Let cool, cover and chill.