for the crust
- 2 sticks salted butter, melted (Makes 1 cup)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
for the filling
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3–4 thin lemon slices (Make sure to take out the seeds)
- confectioners’ sugar (Optional)
Make the crust
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Drizzle in melted butter and mix until it’s well combined. Press this into the bottom and up the sides of a 11-inch tart pan using a measuring cup to flatten and make sure it’s all even.
- Bake the tart shell until it’s a pale golden brown on the edges and baked through on the bottom about 15 to 20 minutes.
Make the filling
- In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, sugar, egg yolks, egg, flour, and salt. Make sure no lumps remain, but be careful not to overmix. Pass the mixture through a fine mesh strainer to make sure no bits of flour or egg are left behind. Add the finely grated ginger. Add lemon slices and stir to coat. Set the lemon slices aside.
- Transfer filling to the crust. Lay the lemon slices across the top. Bake until the edges are set and the center no longer jiggles, but does not look dry, 25 minutes. Let the tart cool completely before slicing.