This baked tomato appetizer is easy, relatively quick and fuss free. With lots of garlic, fresh herbs and all the goodness of Greek extra virgin olive oil the tomatoes shine and have a wholesome, beautiful flavor that you will love.
This is my go-to when we have impromptu guests. It is so easy to make, just assemble the fresh ingredients together, season and bake in the oven for 45 min or so. Most of the time I bake some Greek pita or naan bread with fresh mozzarella and add the baked tomatoes on top right before serving, like a bruschetta. An alternative is to serve the baked tomatoes in the baking dish with lots of cut-up pita, or crackers and fresh crusty bread for crazy dipping.
More appetizers please!
If you liked this recipe please try my Greek cheese dip, an ideal partner to crusty bread. If you want to wow your guests make my Greek shrimp bake-saganaki, it is a real winner and truly, madly, deeply delicious.
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- 12 oz sweet cherry tomatoes I used these
- 10 cloves garlic
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup Greek olives pitted
- 5-6 sprigs fresh herbs like rosemary thyme and sage
- dry oregano
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- chili pepper flakes
- 2 regular size Greek pita or Naan bread or 4 small ones
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a baking pan mix tomatoes, garlic and olives together. Add olive oil and season with salt, freshly ground pepper and a generous pinch of oregano. Add a pinch or two of chili pepper flakes if you like. Mix everything well gently. Arrange 3-4 fresh herb sprigs around everything.
- Bake for 45 min or so. Keep an eye on tomatoes, you don’t want them to dry out.
- Time to bake the bread and assemble.
- Place pita bread on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Add plenty of fresh mozzarella cheese on top (to your liking, I like it cheesy).
- Bake until pita bread is nice and lightly crisped around the edges and mozzarella cheese is melted and it’s moisture has evaporated. About 5-8 min but my advise is to keep an eye on them, every oven is different.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of the tomato mix on the pita bread, sprinkle some olive oil and some chopped fresh herbs on top and serve immediately.