Ladenia, The Greek Pizza
This authentic Greek pizza recipe comes from the island of Kimolos. It has a bread-like crust, ripe tomatoes, onions, oregano, and extra virgin olive oil.
For the crust
- 500 gr all-purpose flour about 4 cups
- 2 tsp active yeast or one packet of
- 1¼ cup warm water
- ⅓ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onions cut in half and thinly sliced
- 3 ripe tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil total, you might not use it all
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup Sliced bell peppers, all colors
- ⅓ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
make the crust
In a small bowl, mix the warm water, stir in 1 tsp sugar and 2 teaspoons active yeast. Set aside for about 15 minutes, until the mixture rises slightly and froths.
In a large and deep bowl, add the flour, sea salt, yeast mixture, and olive oil and knead for about 4-5 minutes, until all the olive oil is absorbed and the dough is soft and elastic. Cover with cling film and set aside in a warm environment for about 1 hour, until it rises and almost doubles in volume.
Alternative oven cooking option on a baking sheet
Nutritional Info – Please keep in mind that the nutritional information provided is only an estimate and can vary based on the products used.
- Brush some olive oil on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Open the dough with your fingers to cover the baking sheet. Create a ½ inch (1.5 cm) thicker border of dough. Drain the liquids and add the tomatoes and onions on top. Spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with oregano, coarse salt, and freshly ground pepper. Sprinkle some olive oil all over.
- Bake for about 20-30 minutes until the onions are slightly caramelized on the surface and the dough is browned below.
- You can check how the crust is browning by carefully lifting one corner.
Calories: 376kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 424mg | Potassium: 139mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 66IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 2mg