Creamy Mushroom Sauce
This creamy mushroom sauce is great with chicken, chops, omelets, literally anything you are in the mood for. Delicious and so easy to make.
- 16 oz mushrooms
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 organic palm oil-free veggie bouillon cube
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme or sage leaves
Heat one tablespoon olive oil and two tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Add in the mushrooms. Stir gently and let them cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Season mushrooms with a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Add the wine. Let the alcohol evaporate. Add in the bouillon cube and half a cup of broth and a couple of sprigs of thyme leaves. Simmer mushrooms for 5 minutes.
Add in the heavy cream, one teaspoon of ground mustard, 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, and 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until sauce thickens. Adjust sea salty and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Serve sauce over chicken, steak, mashed potatoes even omelets. Enjoy!
Nutritional Info – Please keep in mind that the nutritional information provided is only an estimate and can vary based on the products used.
- Use the mushrooms you like. I used baby Bella, but regular white button mushrooms will work just fine.
- A dry white wine is best here. Sweet wines will not work as well with this recipe.
- If you don't have a bouillon cube use ½ cup broth.
- Lighten up the recipe by using light cream. If you need to thicken the sauce, mix 1 tsp of cornflour/cornstarch with a tablespoon of light cream. Once the cornflour is dissolved, mix in the remaining cream. The cornstarch will thicken up the sauce right up, and the calories will be significantly less.
- Use the creamy mushroom sauce for grilled chicken and steaks, over pasta, even grilled/steamed vegetables.
Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 211mg | Potassium: 359mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1280IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 1mg