Greek Zucchini Fritters With Feta
Greek zucchini fritters are a popular and delicious summer food. They are fragrant, easy to make, light, and really tasty.
for the fritter mix
- 4 medium green zucchini grated
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1½ cups greek feta cheese crumbled
- ¾ cup fresh mint measure the leaves only, chop after
- ¾ cup fresh basil measure the leaves only, chop after
- ¾ cup fresh dill measure the leaves only, chop after
- 2 lemons zested
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup flour
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- red pepper flakes optional
- tzatziki optional
Mix grated zucchini with a pinch of salt in a large colander and place in sink to drain for 10 minutes.
In a large bowl mix zucchini, scallions, all herbs, feta, lemon zest, olive oil, and eggs. Fold in the flour. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cumin and coriander and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
In a frying pan in medium-high heat add 2-3 tbs olive oil.
Take a full tablespoonful of the mix and place it on the frying pan. Repeat 2-3 times depending on the size of your frying pan. Don't over crowd!
With the help of two spoons shape the fritters into a round shape, tidy them up a little. Press lightly the top to flatten it.
Cook each side 3-4 minutes or until it has a nice golden color and they start to crisp up. Place them in paper towels or cookie rack to remove excess oil.
Nutritional Info – Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is only an estimate and can vary based on the products used.
- You can use yellow squash instead of green zucchini. Or mix the two.
- Add a cup of sweet corn to the mix. It will go well with the zucchini and feta and will add a different texture to these fritters. I love corn in the summer!
- I prefer to fry my food in olive oil—even fries. Most Greeks do; they rarely use corn oil. You can get light olive oil which is very good for frying and sauteing.
Calories: 336kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 99mg | Sodium: 590mg | Potassium: 352mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1324IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 311mg | Iron: 3mg