Greek Stuffed Squash Blossoms
Greek style stuffed squash blossoms filled with herbs, juicy veggies and rice.
- 40 squash blossoms
- 2 cups long grain rice uncooked. I use Carolina.
- 1¼ cup zucchini grated
- 1 cup potato grated
- 2 cups onions finely diced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups tomatoes grated , skin and seeds removed or 28 oz San Marzanno tomatoes like Gustarosso
- 1 cup fresh mint chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley chopped
- fresh ground pepper
Prepare the blossoms
Place the blossoms on a kitchen towel.
Gently open the blossom and cut the little stem inside, using kitchen shears or a sharp pair of scissors. Cut the outside stem also.
Fill a large bowl with water and place it next to the blossoms. Emerge each blossom into the water give it a small swirl for a sec and take it out. Shake it very gently and place it on the kitchen towel to dry.
Make the filling and fill the blossoms
Mix all filling ingredients in a large bowl. (If you are using the San Marzanno tomatoes, place them in a bowl first and squish them with your hands to get all the juices out and turn them into much smaller pieces). Season with salt and pepper.
Gently open the blossom and, using a small spoon, place some of the mixture inside. Close each blossom petal in a criss cross pattern if you can. Wrap the last petal carefully under the blossom and place it on a large pot.
Repeat filling the rest of the blossoms, placing each in a circular motion inside the pot. Make sure they snuggly fit with each other. Add 2 cups of water. Place a plate upside down on the blossoms, to lock their position.
Simmer in low heat for 1 hour. Gently lift the plate (careful, it's hot!) to check if they are fully cooked.
Serve with your favorite yogurt sauce.
Nutritional Info – Please keep in mind that the nutritional information provided is only an estimate and can vary based on the products used.
- This recipe is for 40 blossoms but you can easily cut it in half for 20 blossoms. An average portion is 5-6 blossoms.
- If you have leftover mixture you can just cook it on the stove (add a little stock if needed), add your favorite protein et voila! Dinner is ready.
Serving: 6blossoms | Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 18mg | Potassium: 567mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1833IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 2mg