Fasolada-Greek White Bean Soup
- 2 lb dry white beans
- 1 onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves diced
- 3 carrots cut in ¼ inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery cut in ¼ inch pieces
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 28 oz tomatoes diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup parsley roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp dry oregano
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp parsley roughly chopped optional
- 1 tbsp chili pepper flakes optional
Add the beans in a large pot. Fill the pot with plenty of water to cover the beans and more. Add a pinch of salt. Stir and let the beans soak for 10 hours or overnight.When you are ready to cook, rinse them really well, put them back into the pot with enough water to cover them and cook in high heat for 20 min. Drain beans and set aside. In medium heat add 2-3 tbsp olive oil in the pot. Add the onions. Sauté for 2-3 min, until onions are translucent. Add the garlic. Stir and add carrots, celery, and tomato paste. Stir again well. Season with salt and pepper and the dry oregano. Sauté for 2-3 min mixing everything well to allow flavors to develop. Add the beans and the tomatoes. Stir and add the chicken stock and parsley. Add enough water to cover the beans plus an extra inch. Stir well and cook for 60 min or until beans are soft. Add more water or stock if you need too. Adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Nutritional Info – Please keep in mind that nutritional information provided is only an estimate and can vary based on products used.
- Serve in bowls with a sprinkle of chili pepper flakes and a piece of warm bread for dipping.
- You can complete your meal by adding anchovies, some olives and good Greek feta.
Calories: 385kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 502mg | Potassium: 1942mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 7840IU | Vitamin C: 76mg | Calcium: 186mg | Iron: 6mg