Low Carb Turkey Meatballs & Gravy
These low carb turkey meatballs rare easy and super satisfying.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ½ onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 egg
- ½ cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- 2 oz panchetta uncured, diced small
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves minced
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp ground mustard
- 1 tbsp ground nutmeg
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1½ tsp coconut aminos
- 1½ tsp salt or to taste
- ⅓ tsp cayene pepper optional
- finely chopped fresh mint optional
Make the meatballs
In a large bowl add the ground turkey, onion, mint, egg, cumin, mustard, garlic powder, panchetta, parmesan cheese, a generous pinch of salt and a generous grind of fresh pepper. Mix with your hands (I usually wear plastic gloves when mixing poultry) or a spoon until all are well incorporated. Don't overwork it. With the help of a medium ice cream scooper form the mixture into meatballs. Place meatballs on a baking sheet. Refridgerate for 15 min if room temperature is hot and they are too loose to handle. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet at medium-high heat. Lightly fry the meatballs in batches and brown on all sides, about 2-3 minutes. Don't worry about being fully cooked, they will finish cooking in the sauce. Place browned meatballs on paper towels to absorb any oil.
Make the sauce
In deep sauté pan heat 2 tbsp butter. Add the onion, season with a pinch of salt and sauté for 1-2 min until translucent.
Add the chicken stock, and season with salt , cayenne, ground mustard, nutmeg and coconut aminos. Stir well. Add the parmesan cheese and heavy cream. Stir and simmer for 5 min.
Place meatballs in the sauce and simmer for 10 in. Make sure meatballs are cooked through.
- Recipe makes about 28 meatballs, about 1 inch each.
- If the temperature is pretty warm side and you notice that rolling your turkey meatballs is getting messy, you can place in the fridge for about 30 minutes, or in the freezer for about 5 minutes, to help firm them up. This will help the meatballs keep their shape better while frying.
- Serve meatballs over cauliflower mash, cauliflower rice or buttery mashed potatoes or pasta if not going low carb.
Serving: 4meatballs | Calories: 351kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 1576mg | Potassium: 279mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 684IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 376mg | Iron: 3mg