Braised Greek Chicken In Tomato Sauce
This braised chicken makes a rustic, comforting dish with lovely Mediterranean flavors.
- 4 lb chicken cut in 8 pieces
- 3 cups grated ripe tomatoes skin removed or 28 oz can of Gustarosso San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 onion diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 star anise
- 1 shot ouzo or dry white wine
- 1 handful fresh oregano leaves
- 1 handful fresh thyme leaves
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- red chili pepper flakes
- za'atar seasoning
Brine the chicken
Place the chicken in a large platter. Sprinkle za'atar seasoning all over. Chill uncovered in the fridge for 1 to 4 hours and preferably overnight, but no longer than 24 hours. When you are ready to cook remove chicken from refrigerator and to reach room temperature, about 15 min.
Time to cook
Preheat oven to 300 F.
Heat a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add 2-3 pieces of chicken (skin side down). Brown the chicken all over for 4 to 5 minutes, then remove to a platter and repeat with the rest of the pieces. Don't overcrowd the pot, if you do it will boil instead of sear.
In the same dutch oven in medium heat, add the onions. Season with sea salt. Sauté for 2-3 min. Add the garlic. Continue sautéing for 1-2 more minutes. Add the peppers, star anise, freshly ground pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Stir well. Carefully add the shot of ouzo. Simmer for 2 more minutes.
Return the chicken to the pot. Add some fresh herbs sprigs like oregano and thyme. Bring to a boil. Cover tightly and transfer to the oven.
Cook for one hour.
Remove the lid and let the chicken cool in the pot for 15 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Info – Please keep in mind that nutritional information provided is only an estimate and can vary based on products used.
- You can use only thighs and or drumsticks for this recipe. You must adjust cooking times so chicken is not overcooked or worse, under cooked.
- If you use skinless, boneless chicken thighs cook from 35- to 45 min.
Calories: 405kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 103mg | Potassium: 309mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 203IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 2mg