Fried Eggs and Fries-Avga me patates are one of the most satisfying and comforting meals one could have. In Greece, everyone has a version for a quickly prepared lunch or dinner. In our recipe, sunny-side eggs are fried in butter and served next to double-cooked crispy oven fries. Add warm crusty bread to dip in the yolk, and you’re all set!
If you love Fried Eggs And Fries, you will also love Eggplant Shakshuka, Eggs Kayana or Fried Egg Sandwich!
Why this recipe sings
Fried Eggs and fries are one of the most delicious, budget-friendly meals. The meal is ready in 45 minutes and can be a weeknight dinner or a cozy weekend treat.
The Greeks have a long and steady relationship with eggs and potatoes. Everyone I know has had a version of eggs and potatoes as a fast home-cooked meal multiple times.
In Crete, tavernas have fried eggs with staka* and fries on their menu. There was a place in a village right outside of Chania that made only this dish (It was packed all year around).
In this recipe, the intention is to replicate the taste of the Cretan fried eggs in staka with fries.
Since it is difficult to find staka or stakovoutiro** outside of Crete and Greece, we have fresh free-range eggs fried in butter while crispy potatoes bake in the oven after a quick boil.
This dish is beautiful in its simplicity. You can enjoy it just as it is or with a sprinkle of crumbled feta or parmesan cheese. Make sure you dip the fries in the runny yolk... Delicious!
*Staka is a type of roux particular to Cretan cuisine. It is prepared by cooking milk cream over a low flame with flour. It is added to pasta, rice dishes, and soups and enjoyed with eggs, bread, etc.
**Stakovoutiro. As staka starts to thicken and separate, it will produce butter, which is collected and called stakovoutiro. It has a stronger fragrance and taste than butter, vaguely similar to ghee. It is delicious to fry eggs, be added to pasta or rice, etc.
Here is what you need
- Eggs. The best eggs to use would be organic free-range eggs. Get the ones that suit your budget.
- Butter. To fry the eggs. Salted or unsalted.
- Potatoes. This recipe will work beautifully with any kind. Russet, Yukon gold potatoes, etc., are all good.
- Extra virgin olive oil. To dress the potatoes before they go in the oven.
- Apple cider vinegar. Adding two tablespoons to the water to boil the potatoes helps retain their shape. It also lightly flavors them. (think of very subtle salt and vinegar chips). Substitute with white wine vinegar.
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, and dried oregano.
How to make it
Make the oven fries
Heat the oven to 450° / 225°C
Scrub and wash potatoes well.
Cut potatoes into ¼- ½-inch / 0.5-1 cm-thick sticks.
Soak in cold water while the oven heats.
Place a pot over medium heat, fill with water, two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and a tablespoon of sea salt.
When the water boils, add the sliced potatoes and cook for ten minutes.
Transfer the potatoes to a baking sheet with a slotted spoon.
Pour the olive oil all over the potatoes and mix to cover. Sprinkle dried oregano all over. Bake potatoes in the oven for 20 minutes.
Gently mix the potatoes with a spatula, and bake for another 20 minutes.
Transfer the potatoes to a bowl and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
Fry the eggs
Heat the butter in a medium nonstick skillet over low heat for 5 minutes.
Crack an egg into a small bowl and add it to the skillet; repeat by adding another egg next to it.
Cover with a tight lid and cook until the whites are set but the yolks are runny about two and a half minutes.
Slide the eggs out of the skillet onto a plate with oven fries. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
You can enjoy fried eggs and potatoes just as they are. Additionally, you can sprinkle crumbled Greek feta or shredded parmesan cheese on top of the fries or add a green salad and your favorite dipping sauce.
Fried Eggs And Fries
- 6 large eggs
- ½ butter
- 3 russet potatoes
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- dried oregano
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Scrub and wash potatoes well.Cut potatoes into ¼- ½ inch / .5-1 cm-thick sticks.
- Heat the oven to 450° / 225°C
- Place a pot over medium heat, fill with water, two tablespoons apple cider vinegar, and a tablespoon of sea salt.
- When the water boils add the sliced potatoes and cook for ten minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes to a baking sheet with a slotted spoon.
- Pour the olive oil all over the potatoes and mix to cover. Sprinkle dried oregano all over.Bake potatoes in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Gently mix the potatoes with a spatula, and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes to a bowl, adjust the seasoning if you like, and serve next to fried eggs.
Fry the eggs
- Heat the butter in a medium nonstick skillet over low heat for 5 minutes. Crack an egg into a small bowl and add it to the skillet; repeat by adding another egg next to it. Cover with a tight lid and cook until the whites are set but the yolks are runny, 2 to 2 ½ minutes. Slide the eggs out of the skillet onto a plate with oven fries. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- It is not necessary to use russet potatoes. Yukon gold will also work well or substitute with potatoes in your pantry.
- Vinegar helps the potatoes to retain their shape. You can use apple cider, white wine vinegar, or any in your pantry. Better not to use balsamic vinegar.