Greek Stuffed Cabbage Rolls with egg-lemon sauce - Lahanodolmades Avgolemono is one of the most divine dishes. This is the best recipe for stuffed cabbage rolls, hands down!
Greek stuffed cabbage rolls-lahanodolmades avgolemono is the ultimate comfort dish. My husband claims it is the best food I have ever cooked since we met (that was 2004, so you do the math).
What is lahanodolmades
Lahanodolmades (or Lahanodolmathes) avgolemono is cabbage leaves stuffed with ground meat and rice in an egg-lemon sauce. A rustic dish with tons of flavor that seems complicated, but it is straightforward in reality.
They taste even better the next day, and are great for lunch, dinner, and anytime in between!
Here is what you need
- Ground meat. You can use just ground beef, or lamb, or beef and pork. I chose beef and ground sweet Italian sausage.
- Fresh dill, parsley, and scallions. Lots of aromatic herbs give freshness to this recipe.
- Onions. I use one onion, finely diced for the mixture and another just sliced, saute for a couple of minutes to cover the bottom of the pot.
- White rice. I usually use Carolina or any rice I have available.
- A large fresh cabbage. Select the best one from the bunch.
- Ground cumin, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and extra virgin olive oil. My grandma always added a pinch of cumin in the mix for that extra flavor. So it became a family tradition always to add some cumin in lahanodolmades.
- Eggs and lemons. I usually use only two lemons for the egg and lemon sauce, but this time is different. I use 4 lemons, sometimes 5! The cabbage is perfectly paired with the extra lemony avgolemono. The lemon acidity cuts greasiness and gives the food a fresh, clean taste.
How to make lahanodolmades
Although it may seem very labor-intensive, the recipe is pretty easy. I would say the most complicated part is boiling and separating the cabbage leaves. However, if you get a nice fresh and large cabbage and cut the core before boiling, you should not have an issue.
What to enjoy with lahanodolmades
- This flavorful lamb stew avgolemono has pearl onions, olive oil, and lots of fresh dill.
- This lemon chicken soup - kotopoulo soupa avgolemono is a much loved traditional Greek soup.
- Greek soutzoukakia are delicious meatballs in a red sauce flavored with cumin.
Cooked this? Rate this recipe! You can also leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!
Greek Stuffed Cabbage Rolls - Lahanodolmades Avgolemono
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground sweet Italian sausage
- ½ bunch of fresh dill chopped
- ½ bunch of fresh parsley chopped
- 2 onions diced
- 3 scallions sliced
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 whole cabbage
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
For the avgolemono
- 2 eggs
- 4 lemons juiced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Remove the entire core of the cabbage with a knife. Immerse the head of cabbage in the boiling water for a few minutes. Peel off each leaf with tongs as soon as it's flexible. Set the leaves aside on a collander.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ground meat, one onion diced, the rice, sliced scallions, chopped dill and parsley, a pinch of cumin and sea salt, and freshly ground pepper.
- Remove the hard rib if any from the leaves with a knife. Place a spoonful of the stuffing mixture in the middle of each cabbage leaf, and wrap into rolls.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Saute the second diced onion for a few minutes. (this onion can also just be sliced. As soon as the onion has softened, place a handfull of fresh parsley son top. You can add some leftover cabbage leaves on top (optional).
- Transfer the cabbage rolls to the pot in layers next to one another, and cover with a plate to not unwrap while cooking.
- Pour enough water to cover the cabbage rolls, and add ⅓ cup olive oil.
- Cover and simmer in low for 60 minutes. Remove from heat, uncover and let food sit for 10 minutes to cool the broth.
Prepare the egg-lemon sauce
- Whisk 2 eggs really well for about 2 minutes. Add the juice of 4 lemons and keep wisking. Drizzle a ladleful of the food broth while wisking. Pour sauce over stuffed cabbage rolls. Shake the pot to make sure sauce is distributed all over. Serve.
- Substitute the meat with 1 ½ cups of rice.
- Saute the diced onion in a little olive oil before adding it to the mixture.
- Add the ½ bunch chopped fresh parsley and ½ bunch chopped fresh dill and the 3 sliced scallions in the stuffing mixture.
- Add 3 tbsp raisins, ⅓ cup pine nuts, and ⅓ cup small walnut pieces in the stuffing.
- Small diced 2 medium carrots and add in the mix.
- For the vegan avgolemono: Use 2 cups of the food broth, the juice of three lemons, and 2 tbsp cornflour to thicken the sauce. Sprinkle in some chopped fresh dill.