This parmesan-crusted chicken with mayo is so easy, low carb, and absolutely delicious. With a few simple ingredients, it can be ready in 40 minutes.
We love this parmesan-crusted chicken with mayo so much in our house there are times where we make it weekly. When we are at a loss on what to make for a sudden guest visit, parmesan chicken always wins because it is super easy and delicious.
This recipe has two grams of carbohydrates per serving. If you are a fan of eating low-carb, HFLC, or Keto, this is a foolproof recipe that will please even a demanding Keto aficionado.
Here is what you need
Chicken thighs skinless boneless. I personally prefer chicken thighs due to better flavor and more tender meat; having said that, you can definitely make this recipe with chicken breast, and it will be equally terrific.
Mayonnaise. I prefer Hellman's mayo for this recipe. I tried other brands of good quality mayo such as Dukes and did not get this great crust I achieve with the Hellmann's.
Parmesan cheese. I have cooked this parmesan-crusted chicken recipe with the most amazing Parmigiano I found. But I have also used domestic parmesan from my supermarket. I liked it both ways. The authentic Italian Parmigiano wins, but the conventional brand did pretty well and is more economical.
Dried chili flakes. For a nice kick. They are totally optional. If that is not your cup of tea, feel free to omit them from the recipe. Season chicken with sea salt and pepper, and you are good to go.
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
How to make it
The first time we made this mayo chicken recipe, it was almost by accident. I saw an advertisement for a recipe spreading mayo on chicken breasts and sprinkling grated parmesan. I was intrigued, tried it, and I decided to make my own version.
Instead of spreading the mayo on the chicken and following a sprinkle of cheese (like in the recipe I found), I mix equal parts of mayo and grated parmesan. Next, I add a tablespoon of dried chili flakes.
Lay the chicken thighs on your pan—season with sea salt and pepper. Fold the thigh edges under to create a more tidy, round look.
Spread a full tablespoon of the cheese mayo mix on each chicken thigh and bake in a 380F oven for 40 minutes.
A perfect parmesan-crusted chicken dinner is ready and on the table.
Tips & substitutions
- If parmesan is not available or you have other cheeses in your fridge, please use them! Fontina, Asiago, or Gruyere can all be used for this recipe. I am never afraid to experiment with cheese!
- You can use your own homemade mayo or a ready-made one. To be truthful, the ready-made mayo is better for this. Save your precious homemade for a different dish where it can shine on its own.
What to serve with parmesan crusted chicken
Serve this mayo chicken dish with a leafy salad for a low-carb delicious meal. It’s pictured above with roasted vegetables with a squeeze of lemon and fresh basil. Arakas - Greek sweet peas are also an awesome side dish you can try. Roasted cauliflower with a lemon-olive oil dressing and capers is a low-carb option side dish with acidity and goes well with this chicken dish.
You may also like
- This Greek herb chicken is juicy, full of flavor, and Mediterranean vibes.
- These low carb turkey meatballs are compliant with a low carb lifestyle with all the comfort food feeling you need.
- A delicious chicken souvlaki recipe has homemade Greek pita bread, a honey mustard aioli, and lots of aromatics.
Cooked this? Rate this recipe! You can also leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!
Parmesan Crusted Chicken With Mayo
- Rimmed baking sheet
- 4 chicken thighs skinless boneless
- 4 tablespoons mayonaise Full tablespoons.
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese grated. Full tablespoons.
- 1 tablespoon dried chili flakes
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat your oven to 380 F.
- Season the chicken thighs with sea salt and pepper. Fold the thigh edges under for a more tidy, round look. Place them in a baking pan.
- In a bowl, mix well the mayo, parmesan, and dried chili flakes.
- Place a full tablespoon of the mayo - cheese mix on each chicken thigh. You can sprinkle some more dried chili flakes all over if you like.
- Bake for 40 min or until the top is golden brown and the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken thighs to a wiring rack to drain from all the extra fat and serve immediately.
- This recipe doesn’t use any oil because it cooks in the fat from the mayonnaise and grated parmesan cheese.
- I prefer to use chicken thighs for this recipe. I get organic, free-range chicken thighs with no skin or bones. Feel free to use skinless chicken breasts if you like. Adjust the cooking time accordingly because breasts cook longer than thighs.
- I think Hellmann's mayonnaise is one of the best mayos out there. I have tried several, and Hellmann's makes the best parmesan crust.