Our version of a tomato sandwich is based on the classic Greek peasant salad-horiatiki with whipped feta cheese, olive oil and basil over toasted sourdough bread. Tomato slices and slivers of onion and herbs are added on top. The result is delectable, juicy, sweet and bright with the salty flavor of feta cheese and ripe tomato. Try this tomato sandwich at the height of summer when tomatoes are juicy and plump.
Why this recipe sings
This tomato sandwich, a delight of summer, is like a classic Greek salad on toasted bread. And it’s so simple. Tomatoes, olive oil, feta, and basil.
This sandwich comes together quickly. It is at its best when the ingredients (apart from the toasted bread) are at room temperature. That way, the juicy tomatoes and all the aromatics infuse the bread and the flavors meld together perfectly.
Here is what you need
- Feta cheese. Get a feta block in brine, preferably Greek. A lot of stores now carry good quality feta. Avoid fat-free feta; it doesn’t exist in Greece. My favorites are Dodoni and Mt Vikos.
- Extra virgin olive oil. The key to Greek cooking. Avoid Mediterranean blends; they contain questionable oils. My favorite extra virgin olive oil is Athena Kolymvari. You can find it at Shoprite and Wholefoods in 1lt bottles.
- Fresh basil. This herb transforms any food into a summer treat.
- Sourdough bread. The lightly tangy flavor compliments the sweet tomato and salty cheese very well.
- Tomato. Choose a ripe, juicy tomato for your sandwich.
- Dried oregano. This herb is essential in Greek cooking.
- Sea salt. Optional. Use the salt cautiously. Taste the feta to see how salty it is. Chances are you will not need any more salt.
How to make this tomato feta sandwich
Place the feta, olive oil, and fresh basil leaves in a food processor.
Pulse until the feta is creamy.
Brush the bread slices with olive oil and toast them in a hot skillet. If you prefer using a toaster, brush the olive oil after the toasting on both sides.
Spread a generous amount of the whipped feta on both slices. Add tomato slices and onion and sprinkle with dried oregano.
Add some fresh herbs leaves, like fresh oregano or basil, and enjoy!
Greek Tomato Sandwich With Feta
- 1 cup feta cheese
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil plus more to brush the bread
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves plus a few extras for serving
- 1 large ripe tomato
- dried oregano
- sea salt
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- Place the feta, olive oil, and fresh basil leaves in a food processor.Pulse until the feta is creamy.
- Brush the bread slices with olive oil and toast them in a hot skillet. If you prefer using a toaster, brush the olive oil after the toasting on both sides.
- Spread a generous amount of the whipped feta on both slices. Add a few tomato and onion slices and sprinkle with dried oregano. Add some fresh herbs leaves, like fresh oregano or basil. Close the sandwich and enjoy!