Have you tried our Fig Toast With Feta? This recipe is like an open-face cheese sandwich with a creamy layer of tangy whipped feta, topped with sweet ripe figs and honey. This fig toast is salty, sweet, and incredibly delicious. Bonus: it is ready in 10 minutes! Have it for dinner with soup and salad or as a good snack with drinks.
Why this recipe sings
This fig toast with feta has everything we love in a bite. Sweet from the ripe figs and honey, salty from the whipped feta and bright from the spearmint, it hits all the right notes.
It is super easy to make and is versatile. You can switch the cheese to earthy goat cheese or a warm melty fontina, sprinkle pecans or walnuts on top, and drizzle maple syrup or a preserve. Whichever way you choose to make it, it will be a winner.
Here is what you need
- Ripe figs. I use dark red, almost black, figs I love in Greece. They are similar to mission figs. Green color figs are great as well. This recipe will be delicious as long as the figs are in season and ripe.
- Feta cheese. Always get a block of feta in brine. Greek feta I like is Dodoni and Mt Vikos.
- Mint or spearmint. Both herbs are similar in freshness and aroma. Their scent reminds me of a summer garden.
- A little olive oil. It adds flavor and smoothness to the whipped feta.
- Good quality bread, any kind you like. My go-to is a sourdough from my local bakery but any good quality fresh bread will be wonderful.
- Honey. In Greece we love thyme honey. All types of honey will be great. Alternatively, drizzle maple syrup or agave syrup.
How to make this fig toast
Brush a little olive oil on the bread slices. Toast* them on a frying pan on both sides.
*In case you are using a toaster: Brush the olive oil after you toast the bread.
Crumble the feta in a food processor. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and spearmint leaves. Pulse until feta is smooth and creamy.
Spread some feta on the bread slices. Add on top fig slices and drizzle honey. Sprinkle more spearmint if you like and enjoy!
How to eat this fig toast
Enjoy this fig toast as a snack, cut it in more pieces and serve it as an appetizer. You can add a salad, soup and some fritters and make it a nice lunch or dinner. I love serving it as an appetizer like this fig galette with prosciutto. It is also excellent for breakfast. It looks fancy but it is so simple to make and delicious!
Fig Toast With Feta
- 4 bread slices
- 1 cup Greek feta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil plus more for brushing the bread
- 6 spearmint leaves
- 6 ripe figs Sliced
- Brush a little olive oil on the bread slices. Toast the bread on both sides over the stove using a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Crumble the whipped feta in a food processor. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and spearmint leaves. Pulse until feta is smooth and creamy.
- Spread feta on the bread slices. Add on top ripe fig slices and drizzle some honey. Sprinkle more spearmint if you like and enjoy!