You will love this roasted cherry tomato appetizer. Juicy cherry tomatoes are roasted with lots of garlic, fresh herbs, and extra virgin olive oil for truly irresistible flavors. Served over melty mozzarella on pita bread, this roasted cherry tomato appetizer always hits the spot!
This is an easy recipe ready in 30 minutes.
Why this recipe sings
This roasted cherry tomatoes appetizer ticks all the boxes when it comes to flavor and easiness. The cherry tomatoes have a rich and sweet flavor intensified by roasting. The heat brings out their natural sweetness and caramelizes them, creating a savory and slightly fruity depth of flavor.
The roasted tomatoes are served over pitas with melty mozzarella cheese for a sweet and savory appetizer guaranteed to be a hit. This recipe is easy enough to pull off when you have unexpected guests. It can also be a tasty lunch or dinner accompanied by a green salad. Leftover tomatoes (if you have any!) can be a delicious addition to pasta dishes, salads, or sandwiches.
Here is what you need
- Cherry or grape tomatoes. You cause any medley of small tomatoes you like.
- Garlic. A couple of cloves are thinly sliced and roast with the tomatoes.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Mozzarella cheese. Fresh mozzarella works best.
- Greek pita bread. This bread is like a flatbread without a pocket. You can make your own using our recipe for pita or get ready-made. A great delicious substitute is naan bread.
- Sugar. A teaspoon over the tomatoes before roasting helps break their acidity.
- Sea salt, dried oregano, and chili flakes
- Fresh oregano leaves. For serving. You can choose any herbs you like. I recommend oregano, thyme, or basil.
How to make it
Pre-heat the oven to 220°C / 425°F
In a baking pan, add the cherry tomatoes and garlic. Sprinkle one teaspoon of sugar all over and season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Add two-three tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and mix well.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Place pita bread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Add plenty of fresh mozzarella cheese on top, according to your liking., drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of dried oregano.
Bake until pita bread is nice and lightly crisped around the edges, mozzarella cheese is melted and bubbly, and its moisture evaporates for about 5 minutes.
Add 2-3 tbsp of the tomato mix on the pita bread, sprinkle some olive oil and some chopped fresh herbs on top and serve immediately.
You may also like
Cooked this? Rate this recipe! You can also leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!
Roasted Cherry Tomatoes Appetizer
- medium baking pan
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C / 425°F
- In a baking pan, add the cherry tomatoes and garlic. Sprinkle one teaspoon of sugar all over and season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Add two-three tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and mix well.Bake for 25 minutes.
- Place pita bread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.Add plenty of fresh mozzarella cheese on top, according to your liking, drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of dried oregano.Bake until pita bread is nice and lightly crisped around the edges, mozzarella cheese is melted and bubbly, and moisture evaporates for about 5 minutes.
- Cut the pitas into four pieces and add 2-3 tomatoes to each piece, sprinkle some fresh oregano leaves and chili flakes on top, and serve immediately.