Crispy fried zucchini is often the first dish to disappear when you are having dinner at a taverna in Greece. This recipe has a simple yet effective method for achieving the perfect crispy zucchini. Learn how to make the delicious summer appetizer and fascinate your guests!
If you love this crispy fried zucchini, you will also love the crispy fried potatoes, crispy fried eggplant or the zucchini fritters with feta!
Why this recipe sings
This crispy fried zucchini recipe has few ingredients and significant crisp results. The zucchini is first immersed in a water brine and then covered with a combination of flours and spices. Next step, each slice is dipped in water and finally in the frier. This method seems strange, yet it achieves the best crispy zucchini. Another benefit is the zucchini does not absorb too much oil and doesn't cook too much. As a result, the flesh stays crisp and fresh.
Here is what you need
- Zucchini. Any size zucchini will do. You can slice it in coins or strips.
- All-purpose flour, corn flour, semolina flour. The combination of all three flour is great for achieving the crispiest veggies.
- Sweet paprika, dried oregano, chili flakes and sea salt. Substitute the oregano with za'atar, dried Mediterranean spice mix, or Italian seasoning, and Aleppo pepper, freshly ground black pepper, in place of sweet paprika. This recipe is versatile and allows to season with your favorites spices.
- Sunflower oil for frying. Many Greeks fry their vegetables in olive oil. It can be costly so any neutral oil is good for frying.
Here is how you make it
Fry zucchini until they are golden brown. Remove from hot oil with a slotted spoon and place on a wire rack over a paper towel to drain any oil (or drain in the fryer wire basket).
Continue the process until all zucchini coins are fried.
Serve the crispy zucchini family style with tzatziki dip, keftedes (Greek meatballs), crispy fries, a spicy feta dip, and your favorite summer dishes.
Check out my Greek pantry staples
Cooked this? Rate this recipe! You can also leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!
WANT TO EAT LIKE A GREEK? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Crispy Fried Zucchini
- 3 medium-large zucchini sliced into 0.5 cm / 1/5 inch coins or strips
For the flour mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup corn flour
- ½ cup semolina flour
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon sea salt plus more for the water brine
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- sunflower oil for frying
- Cut the zucchini into 0.5 cm / 1/5 inch coins or stripsFill a large bowl with water, and add two tablespoons of sea salt and stir to dilute. Add the zucchini slices to the water.
- In a large bowl, mix the flours with the dried oregano, sea salt, sweet paprika and chili flakes. Mix well.Add in the zucchini and mix with your hands so they are coated with the flour mix.
- Heat the oil in your fryer. Fill another bowl with water.When the oil is hot, take a zucchini piece, and dip it into the water and immediately, very carefully, drop it into the hot oil. You can use a tool to hold the eggplant slice if you prefer. Repeat for another three-four slices.
- Fry zucchini until they are golden brown.Remove from hot oil with a slotted spoon and place on a wire rack to drain any oil (or drain in the fryer wire basket).Continue the process until all zucchini slices are fried.
- Serve immediately with tzatziki, tomato sauce, or roasted feta cheese.