Our hearty Lentil Sausage Soup is a complete dinner made in one pot. This soup is filled with vegetables, lentils, beans, and sausage, in a broth full of savory flavor.
Why this recipe sings
Apart from tasting delicious, it is a complete, healthy meal in one pot. No need to make a separate side. Just have some crusty bread around because the broth is fantastic. My husband called it “the soup of the year.”
It is easy to make and does not take long to cook. A versatile recipe, you can swap lentils with other legumes and sausage with different types of protein.
The soup is served with shaved parmesan and a few chili flakes.
Here is what you need for this recipe
- Sausages. I use the Greek “horiatiko”(from the village) sausage from my favorite butcher. Use spicy Italian sausage if you prefer. The ones that have feta filling or leeks work very well also. Substitute with ground meat – beef, pork, chicken, turkey. You will need to brown the meat entirely and adjust the seasonings if you go with chicken or turkey; their meat is leaner than red meat and will need a few extra spices for optimal flavor.
- Lentils. I use dried brown lentils. Substitute with canned lentils or legumes such as red kidney beans, black beans, or chickpeas.
- Onion, carrots, and celery. The essential mirepoix is the base of almost any soup recipe.
- Zucchini. Alternatively, you can add green beans and leeks.
- Tomatoes. Fresh ripe chopped tomatoes are used but canned will work just as great.
- Stock. Vegetable or chicken stock/broth. If you only have bouillon cubes or powder, put it in when you sauté the onion, celery, and carrots.
- Extra virgin olive oil, garlic, and a bay leaf. The basics of my greek cooking.
- Dried oregano, thyme, and sage. You can also use a couple of tablespoons of a Greek seasoning mix
- Ground cumin, nutmeg, and chili flakes.
How to make this soup
Dice about four ounces of the parmesan. Serve soup in bowls with a tablespoon of diced parmesan stirred in the soup and shavings on top. Don’t forget the crusty bread!
Lentil Sausage Soup
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 lb sausages
- 1¼ cup brown lentils
- 1 large carrot
- 2 celery stalks
- 4 oz green beans
- 2 cups grated tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 5 oz parmesan cheese
- Heat four tablespoons of oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Cook the onion and garlic for 3 minutes until fragrant and golden.
- Turn the heat up to high, add the chopped sausage and cook until fragrant and brown. Next, add the spices and herbs and cook them for two minutes.
- Add carrot, and celery, and keep cooking for a couple of more minutes.
- Add in the water, stock, tomato, and lentils. Stir and bring the soup to a simmer, place the lid on and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the zucchini & green beans. Simmer 30 minutes longer or until the lentils are fully cooked but still hold well their shape.
- Adjust sea salt to taste. Dice 4oz of parmesan. Serve soup in bowls with a tablespoon of diced parmesan stirred in the soup and shavings on top.