This is a Greek herb chicken recipe that is juicy, full of flavor and mediterranean vibes.
I get homesick often. To be more specific, I crave the homemade Greek food aromas found all over Greece. Greeks are big on food. They celebrate, love and grieve by cooking and eating. Wherever you go in Greece food will without a doubt accompany your activities. Food is indeed everywhere. So whenever I long for home I cook with all the lovely fresh ingredients I know to soothe myself.
This is where this Greek herb chicken recipe comes in. The marinade has fresh herbs like sage, rosemary and thyme, LOTS of garlic and and lemon juice as well as plenty of lovely Greek extra virgin olive oil. I love serving it on platter with cut-up Greek pita bread, juicy tomatoes, tzatziki sauce and cool cucumber slices.Print
A Greek herb chicken recipe that is juicy and full of flavor and mediterranean vibes.
- 6 skinless boneless thighs
- 3 lemons juiced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- a large pinch chili peppers
- a large pinch of dry oregano
- 6 cloves garlic sliced
- 5–6 sprigs thyme, just the leaves
- 2–3 sprigs rosemary, just the leaves
- 4–5 leaves sage roughly chopped
- sea salt
- In a bowl mix the lemon juice, the olive oil, fresh herb leaves and the garlic. Season with sea salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper. Add the pinch of chili flakes and the dry oregano. Mix well.
- Arrange the chicken thighs on a baking dish or a large bowl. Pour the marinade all over. Cover and refrigerate from 1 hour up to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet. Arrange the chicken on the baking sheet. Put the garlic and herbs that are left in the marinade all over chicken. Bake for 20-25 min, until chicken is cooked through, it is juicy inside and edges are lightly crispy.
Serve on a platter with cut-up pita bread, tomatoes, sliced cucumber, tzatziki, feta cheese or anything else you like. Enjoy!
Pro tip: Greek pita bread is a great side to this dish. Before cutting up & serving the pita bread, dip it lightly in the marinade and either cook both sides on the stove using a hot cast iron pan (frying pan will do too) for a few minutes or add them in a baking sheet and bake for 3-5 min. It is perfectly safe to use the marinade since you will cook the pitas again. This is the secret of all the souvlaki places in Greece. Using the meat marinade on the pitas and cooking it again is a game changer. Trust me!
Keywords: Greek chicken recipe, Greek herbs, herb chicken, chicken recipe