This Greek Red Wine Beef Stew is a hearty delicious dish perfect for a Sunday lunch. Tender beef pieces, lots of fresh herbs and delicate pearl onions are cooked slowly in a fragrant red wine broth.
What meat is best?
This kind of stew does not require expensive cuts of meat. I like to get 2 pounds beef chuck roast cut into 1 inch cubes. I find it becomes really tender and it is has a reasonable price tag. You can certainly use your favorite stewing beef.
I begin cooking the stew on the stove. Right after browning the beef pieces, I like to sauté a whole diced onion with some tomato paste in olive oil to build flavors. Seasoning is always key for this part. Some sea salt, pepper and a pinch or two of dry oregano, adding the bay leaves and the cinnamon sticks and some chili flakes help develop a great base for the broth. Then I add all other ingredients, stir gently and move it in the oven to cook for the rest of the time.
It takes almost two hours to complete this fabulous stew and the result will not disappoint. Served with homemade french fries or over buttery mashed potatoes, it is the perfect comfort food.
Try more stews!
- 5 qt Dutch oven
- 2 lbs Beef chuck cut in pieces for stew
- 1 tbsp flour all purpose
- 4 tbsp olive oil always extra virgin
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves diced
- 8 oz pearl onions
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 cup broth can be vegetable, beef or chicken.
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 1 tbsp dry oregano try to find Greek if you can.
- 1 tbsp chili pepper flakes keep more for serving
- 1 tbsp ground nutmeg
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
for the bouquet garni
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh sage
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Gather all the fresh herbs and tie them together using some cooking twine to create your bouquet garni.
- Arrange the beef stew pieces on a platter lined with paper towels. Pat dry all the pieces to tremove the extra moisture. Sprinkle some flour all over beef pieces.
- Add the olive oil in your dutch oven. In medium to high heat, add the beef pieces 4-5 at a time. Brown them all over for 1 min, them remove, place in a clean plate and set aside for later. Repeat process until all pieces are nicely brown all over.
- Add the onion to your pot. Season with a pinch of salt. Add the garlic. Saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomato paste. Season with freshly ground pepper, the ground nutmeg, a pinch of chili flakes, a pinch of oregano and a pinch of salt. Add the bay leaves and the cinammon sticks. Stir everything together and sauté in medium heat for 1-2 min to let flavors develop.
- Add the carrots. Add the beef pieces and mix gently. Turn the heat to high and add the wine. Simmer in high heat for 2-3 min to let the alcohol evaporate
- Lower heat to medium and add the pearl onions and the broth. Add the bouquet garni. Stir gently and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cover and place pot in the oven. Cook for 1 hour and 30 min.
- Remove from oven, remove lid and let it sit for 10 min before serving.
- Serve with crispy french fries on the side to dip in the sauce. Enjoy!