In the USA peas are traditionally known as a side dish for grilled chicken or a roast. In Greece arakas – Greek sweet peas are mostly a main course.
This is my mother’s way of cooking araka and it is very satisfying and healthy. Fuss free, you literally throw everything in a pot and half an hour later a delicious meal emerges. All you need is a piece of crusty bread and a couple of pieces of feta cheese and you are good to go.Print
Arakas or Greek sweet peas is a fragrant, delicious dish that can be a main course or a side dish to your favorite protein. It is also fuss free and super easy to make.
- 2 lb bag frozen sweet peas
- 4 scallions chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh dill chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 2 organic veggie bouillon cubes (I like palm oil-free bouillon cubes)
- In a large pot heat 1/4 cup olive oil. Add the scallions and sauté for a minute.
- Add the peas, the water, the bouillons and the dill. Stir well. Bring to a boil than reduce heat and simmer for 30 min or until peas are soft but still hold their round shape.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Arakas is fabulous as a main dish with crusty bread and a piece of good feta cheese. Can also be a great side to grilled steak or chicken.