This instant pot gigantes beans & roasted tomatoes recipe is such a warming and hearty dish. It is really easy to make and very satisfying. The beans, broth and roasted tomatoes combination make it a real winner.
In Greece, we call these beans fasolia gigantes. We usually roast them in the oven with tomatoes, carrots, lots of herbs and olive oil, we call them gigantes plaki. I love these flavors and was looking for a way to implement them into a stew. The result is wonderful, the bean broth combined with the roasted tomatoes has great depth. It has a stew feel and is comforting and warming.
Here is what I do
What I usually do is presoak the gigantes beans in the morning, before I start my work. Then, when I am ready to make dinner, the gigantes are all set to be cooked. It will only take 45 min tops to have this dish ready.
You need a pack of dry gigantes beans, one carton of chicken or vegetable broth, garlic, fresh herbs like thyme, sage, or oregano, a large onion, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper.
1. Place all the tomatoes and garlic in a baking pan. Drizzle with 2-3 tbsp olive oil. Add the fresh herbs, season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix well and roast for about 30-45 min. 2. Set the instant pot to sauté for 15 min. Add 2-3 tbsp olive oil. Add the diced onion and saute until the onions are translucent.
3 + 4. Add the beans. Mix well. Add the broth, 2-3 sage leaves, salt and freshly ground pepper and cook at the beans/chili setting for 25 min.
5 + 6. Once tomatoes and beans are ready, gently mix everything together in a separate pot. The beans are ready to be served. You can fry a couple of sage leaves and use as a garnish over beans.
Tips & Tricks
- I like the tomatoes more on the charred side for this dish. I roast them for the whole 45 min, and I don’t mind if they are a little burned on the edges. If that is not your preference, roast them for 30 min or so.
- You can fry a couple of sage leaves in a little olive oil and use as a garnish over beans.
You may also try
- For a quick, delicious starter try this roasted tomato & olives appetizer.
- A true classic Greek vegetarian dish is this Greek ratatouille – briam.
- A great summer dish is the delicious gemista – stuffed tomatoes & peppers.
Cooked this? Rate this recipe! You can also leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!
Instant Pot Gigantes Beans And Roasted Tomatoes
- Instant pot or Pressure cooker
- medium baking pan
- 17 oz giant-gigantes-beans I used the 3 alfa 500 gr package
- 32 oz broth One carton of organic free range chicken or vegetable broth.
- 12 oz gourmet medley tomatoes Like Sunset Wild Wonders
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 3-4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3-4 fresh sage sprigs
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 onion diced
- sage leaves
- chili flakes
Prepare the gigantes beans
- In a large pot add the dry gigantes beans. Add enough water to cover beans really well. Add 1 tsp of salt and mix. Let beans soak for about 6 hours.
- Rinse the beans well before adding them to the instant pot..
Roast the tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 380 F. Place all the tomatoes and garlic cloves in a baking pan. Drizzle with 2-3 tbsp olive oil. Add the fresh herbs, season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix well and roast for about 30-45 min.
Cook the gigantes beans
- Set the instant pot to sauté for 15 min. Add 2-3 tbsp olive oil. Add the diced onion and saute until onions are translucent.
- Add the beans. Mix well. Add the broth, 2-3 sage leaves, salt and freshly ground pepper and cook ithe beans/chili setting for 25 min.
- Once tomatoes and beans are ready, gently mix everything together in a separate pot. The beans are ready to be served.
- You can substitute the gigantes beans with any white bean that you have in your pantry.
- You can also use canned beans, such as canelini, just rinse them well add them to the pot after the onions are translucent and simmer for 10 min in the broth. Add the roasted tomatoes and you are done 🙂