This classic Greek spinach pie is easy to make with phyllo, feta, extra virgin olive oil tons of spinach and leeks.
Spinach pie is very popular in Greece, it can even be called the Greek fast food. Together with it’s sister the cheese pie, It is vastly available in bakeries everywhere and is enjoyed as a snack or a fast lunch on the go. Families have their own recipes making spanakopita and each region incorporates their own cheeses and herbs. Some call it herb pie, hortopita. There are also various ways to do the crust some really pretty and intricate.
This spinach pie has leeks in the mix as well as spinach. And lots of herbs and feta. I made a crust called kourou, it’s like a short crust. There are several ways to make this crust, I decided to use cream cheese in the mix, inspired by how the Greek Chef Akis Petretzikis makes it.
More Greek pies please!
If you liked this recipe please try my Greek cheese pie – Tiropita, athe most popular pie in Greece. A fabulous pie is is the traditional Greek pie with pastourma & kasseri, it is truly delicious and perfect as an appetizer for your dinner parties. The Greek bell pepper pie, is sweet and savory and really easy make .
- For the kourou crust
- 300 gr / about 1.2 cups cream cheese
- 340 gr / 1.5 cups butter
- 370 gr / about 3 cups all purpose flour
- For the egg wash
- 1 egg with 1 tbsp water beaten
- For the filling
- 2 lbs of spinach
- 3 scallions chopped
- 10-15 mint leaves chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano just the leaves
- 1/2 bunch of fresh dill chopped
- 3 leeks sliced
- 5 eggs
- 1.5 cups greek feta crumbled
- 1 cup Greek Anthotyros cheese or fresh ricotta
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil total.
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 190* C (374* F) Fan.
- Make the dough
- Using a mixer beat the cream cheese and the butter for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Combine the flour and salt. Slowly add it to the mixer.
- Beat just long enough to combine everything together. Don’t beat for too long. 2-3 min tops.
- Divide the dough in half and wrap it with plastic and refrigerate for 1-2 hours so it can chill.
- Make the filling
- Place a large pan over medium to high heat.
- Add the 2 tbs olive oil.
- Add the scallions to the pan. Add the leeks. Sauté until they soften.
- Add 1/4 of the spinach. Sauté until it softens a bit and shrinks. Add another 1/4 of the spinach. Mix everything together.
- Sauté for 1-2 2 min and add the rest of the spinach the same way. Add another tbsp of olive oil if you feel it is needed.
- Transfer pan contents to a bowl. Add the mint, the dill, the oregano, the lemon zest, the feta cheese and the Anthotyros cheese (or ricotta). Mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the eggs. Mix everything together very well.
- Roll out the dough and assemble the pie
- Oil the bottom and sides of your pan with olive oil.
- When the dough has rested and chilled, roll out each piece in to a circle about 2 inch larger than your pan.
- Place one of the dough sheets to the bottom of the pan, press gently to cover all the sides.
- Add the filling evenly all over. Take the dough edges and gently roll them back in.
- Place the other sheet on top. press gently to cover everything and the sides of the pan that are exposed.
- With pair of scissors trim the dough right to the edge of the pan. Roll that 1/2 inch dough back in to create a nice even trim for your pie.
- Brush the egg wash all over.
- Bake in the middle rack of your oven for 40-50 min or until it’s golden on top.