A traditional way to “celebrate” the beginning of winter in Greece is to make a big pot of white bean soup. This is a soup that comes from very humble beginnings and has the promise of a glorious future.
Once considered the “poor” man’s food the white bean soup is a classic Greek staple that generations of Greeks grew up with and still enjoy today. All you need really is a piece (or two) of good bread to pair it with. Additionally you can add anchovies, nice greek olives and greek feta to your meal.
The humble Greek white bean soup is delicious, filling, comforting and everything you need to warm up when the weather gets chillier.Print
This Greek white bean soup is delicious, filling and comforting and everything you need to warm up when the weather gets chillier.
- 3 carrots cut in 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 stalks celery cut in 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lb white beans
- 2 organic vegetable bouillon cubes – you can also use chicken if you prefer, choose the ones without palm oil 🙂
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup parsley roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp dry oregano
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp parsley roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp red hot chili pepper flakes (optional)
- Soak the beans overnight in plenty of water. When you are ready to cook, rinse them really well, put them back into the pot with enough water to cover them and cook in high heat for 20 min. Drain beans and set aside.
- In medium heat add 2-3 tbsp olive oil in the pot. Add the onion. Sauté for 2-3 min, until onions are translucent. Add the garlic. Stir and add the carrots, celery, and tomato paste. Stir again well. Season with salt and pepper and the dry oregano. Sauté for 2-3 min mixing everything well to allow flavors to develop.
- Add the beans and the tomatoes. Add water to cover the beans plus an extra inch. Add the bouillon cubes. Stir well and cook for 45 min or until beans are soft. Add more water if you have too. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in bowls with a sprinkle of red hot chili pepper flakes and a piece of warm bread for dipping. You can complete your meal by adding anchovies, some olives and good Greek feta.